MOLLY Counting Down The Hits | 3CD set featuring hits from the 70s & 80s – out 21 October 2016
MOLLY – COUNTING DOWN THE HITS is guaranteed to be this summer’s party-starter!
Jam-packed with timeless tracks from the ’70s and ’80s, this collection, made up of three CDs and 60 songs, defines a remarkable era in music; all of them hits.
From legendary artists, such as ABBA, Duran Duran and Tina Turner, to some unforgettable one hit wonders, including The Buggles, Nena, The Swingers, Haysi Fantayzee and Marilyn.
You’ll find the Aussie acts that put Countdown on the map – Skyhooks, Sherbet and John Paul Young alongside ARIA Hall of Famers – The Angels, Australian Crawl, Divinyls, Dragon, Hunters & Collectors, Icehouse, Jo Jo Zep and The Falcons, Models, Renée Geyer and Peter Allen.
MOLLY – COUNTING DOWN THE HITS caps an amazing year for Ian “Molly” Meldrum. The Seven Network’s MOLLY has been the year’s top-rating mini-series, while the soundtrack went to #1 on the ARIA album chart and has sold more than 130,000 copies and spent four months in the Top 10.
The release of this compilation coincides with the second instalment of Molly’s autobiography, Ah Well, Nobody’s Perfect – the sequel to the bestseller The Never, Um, Ever Ending Story.
Here Molly gives us some of his thoughts and memories on a few of the 60 tracks on the triple album set:
“From track one to track 60, I love everything about this album (including the fact it comes in St Kilda colours)!
ABBA rarely permit their songs to be featured on compilation albums. The fact they’ve allowed us to use “Mamma Mia” shows how much love and respect they have for Australia. It also acknowledges that if not for Countdown, ‘Mamma Mia’ would never have been a single. ABBA’s record company only relented when we wouldn’t stop playing the song.
So many memories come rushing back when I listen to this album:
Sherbet versus Skyhooks … who can forget the civil war in the ’70s? It was our very own version of The Beatles versus The Rolling Stones.
Iggy Pop’s unforgettable appearance on Countdown (“Hiya, Dogface!”).
Duran Duran calling Nile Rodgers from my house after hearing his production of INXS’s ‘Original Sin’. Nile’s remix of ‘The Reflex’ became Duran Duran’s first US chart-topper.
Pseudo Echo performing ‘Listening’ on Countdown – the first unrecorded band to appear on the show.
The Human League controversy after I compared their ‘Dare’ album to The Beatles. I don’t regret it – ‘Dare’ is a classic.
Billy Idol telling me, “I’ve had some really heavy sex since I’ve come to Australia.”
Blondie having their first hit anywhere in the world when Countdown mistakenly played ‘In The Flesh’ (we were meant to play “X Offender”).
They’re just some of my memories … I know you’ll have your own memories when you play this record.
So, as a not-so wise man once said: Do yourself a favour!
P.S. This album also contains some good advice from the late-great Joe Cocker… You Can Leave Your Hat On.” – Molly Meldrum
The album is available for pre-order here xxx
MOLLY – ‘COUNTING DOWN THE HITS’
ALBUM OUT 21 OCTOBER 2016 THROUGH LIBERATION MUSIC
PRE-ORDER AVAILABLE HERE
- Abba – Mamma Mia
- The Knack – My Sharona
- Village People – YMCA
- Real Life – Send Me An Angel
- The Buggles – Video Killed The Radio Star
- Culture Club – It’s A Miracle
- The Go-Go’s – Our Lips Are Sealed
- Pseudo Echo – Listening
- Eurogliders – Heaven (Must be There)
- Nena – 99 Luftballons
- Corey Hart – Sunglasses At Night
- Devo – Whip It
- Models – Out Of Mind, Out Of Sight
- Leo Sayer –You Make Me Feel Like Dancing
- Kids In The Kitchen – Current Stand
- Icehouse – Hey Little Girl
- Mondo Rock – Come Said The Boy
- Tears for Fears – Head Over Heels
- The Motels – Total Control
- Kate Bush – Wuthering Heights
- Cyndi Lauper – Time After Time
- Laura Branigan – Gloria
- Bananarama – Robert DeNiro’s Waiting
- The Human League – Don’t You Want Me
- Swingers – Counting The Beat
- Bonnie Tyler – Total Eclipse Of The Heart
- Duran Duran – The Reflex
- Tina Turner – The Best
- Bay City Rollers – Bye Bye Baby
- Haysi Fantayzee – Shiny Shiny
- Wa Wa Nee – Stimulation
- Machinations – Pressure Sway
- James Freud – Modern Girl
- Pat Wilson – Bop Girl
- The Monitors – Singing In The 80’s
- Renee Geyer – Say I Love You
- The Reels – Prefab Heart
- Marilyn – Calling Your Name
- Blondie – In The Flesh
- Peter Allen – I Go To Rio
- Gonna – Solid Rock
- The Angels – No Secrets
- Sweet – Fox On The Run
- Hunters & Collectors – Say Goodbye
- Divinyls – Boys In Town
- Iggy Pop – I’m Bored
- Cheap Trick – Dream Police
- Australian Crawl – Errol
- Mi Sex – People
- Skyhooks – Horror Movie
- Dragon – Still In Love With You
- The Sports – How Come
- Moving Pictures – Never
- Billy Idol – Hot In The City
- Jo Jo Zep and The Falcons – Shape I’m In
- Boom Crash Opera – Hands Up In The Air
- Joe Cocker – You Can Leave Your Hat On
- Sherbet – Rock Me Gently
- Supernaut – Too Hot Too Touch
- John Paul Young – Soldier Of Fortune