EPISODE TWO: SUNDAY 26 JULY, 5.30PM ON ABC
STARRING: PAUL KELLY & PAUL GRABOWSKY, THE TESKEY BROTHERS,
JAMES REYNE, JULIA STONE, SAN CISCO, CUB SPORT + MORE!
WITH SPECIAL GUEST CO-HOST RUSSELL CROWE
- Introducing your favourite new weekly music show, hour-long episodes featuring a who’s who of Australia’s best homegrown talent
- Watch on ABC & iview – airs Sundays 5.30pm + repeat Saturday 12.30pm
- Episode Two stars: Paul Kelly & Paul Grabowsky, The Teskey Brothers, James Reyne, Julia Stone, San Cisco, Cub Sport, Eves Karydas, SYCCO + more
- This week’s special guest co-host is none other than Academy Award winning actor and music lover Russell Crowe, who is taking time out from his schedule promoting new movie Unhinged to join The Sound
Do you love live Australian music? Then look no further: The Sound is here!
Tune in on ABC each Sunday at 5.30pm as The Sound puts live Australian music back on free-to-air TV. Each episode of The Sound [created by Mushroom Vision and licensed to the ABC] features exclusive performances, collaborations and interviews from some of our nation’s finest talent – with two-thirds of the show showcasing new material.
Catch Episode Two airing this Sunday 26 July at 5.30pm, or repeated Saturday 2 August at 12.30pm on ABC, or on iview.
Joining host Jane Gazzo and music news correspondent Zan Rowe this Sunday is a very special guest co-host – Academy Award winner Russell Crowe. With multiple BAFTAs, AACTAs, Golden Globes and Oscars to his name, Crowe’s distinguished acting career has spanned almost five decades now, while his love of Australian music knows no bounds. Fun trivia: did you know Chrissy Amphlett played his mother in the 1988 film Blood Brothers, and that he’s filmed with Magic Dirt’s Adalita? Russell has a brand new movie out, Unhinged, and The Sound is thrilled to have him join us this week.
Episode Two features performances by:
- They’re two of our most acclaimed songwriters: Paul Kelly and Paul Grabowsky are headed to Melbourne’s iconic Hamer Hall for The Sound cameras this week. The duo release new collaborative album Please Leave Your Light On (EMI) on Jul 31
- Grammy nominees The Teskey Brothers, who recorded at Melbourne’s Bakehouse Studios and recently revealed all about the making of #1 album Run Home Slow in new podcast series 180 Grams
- Aussie legend James Reyne has scored 19 x Top 40 hits, both solo and out front of Australian Crawl. Reyne just dropped his 12th solo record, Toon Town Lullaby – his first studio album in eight years
- Julia Stone makes her eagerly anticipated solo return with striking new single ‘Break’, produced by St. Vincent (aka Annie Clark) and Thomas Bartlett (Yoko Ono, Sufjan Stevens)
- Perth’s San Cisco are back and giving us a taste of what to expect on their forthcoming new album, Between You And Me, out Sept 4
- It’s been an astronomical rise for Brisbane pop powerhouse Cub Sport, who release their new and fourth album LIKE NIRVANA on July 24
- One of Australia’s brightest pop prospects is fellow Brisbane muso Eves Karydas, who joins us this week to perform her brand new single ‘Complicated’
Each week on The Sound, we introduce you to a rising star in our ‘Introducing’ segment. This week, meet 18-year-old Sycco – aka Sasha McLeod, who just this month took out an Unearthed Level Up Grants courtesy of triple j and saw spins on influential LA station KCRW.
‘I feel like we’ve all been waiting for a music show to come back on TV! Really looking forward to watching and very glad to be a part of it’ – Josh Teskey
‘I’m excited and honoured to be appearing with Paul Kelly on The Sound. Having grown up in the ‘70s, the idea of sitting in front of a colour telly on Sundays at 5.30 was an integral part of my alternative music education. Now we can all do it again! And to be playing this exquisite song by the great Mr K just makes it even more special.’ – Paul Grabowsky
‘I’m really looking forward to performing live on The Sound, it’s so fabulous to see live music back on the ABC again’ – James Reyne
‘If this show is one of the results of this difficult time, then it’s good that we can see a positive thing come out of it, for musicians and Australian audiences. Very happy to be involved.’ – Julia Stone
‘We are honoured to be a part of The Sound and can’t wait for you all to see it this weekend’ – San Cisco
‘I’m very excited to perform my new single ‘Complicated’ for the very first time, and grateful for the opportunity during these very strange times. Absolutely love the all-Aussie line up!’ – Eves Karydas
On social media, the verdict was unanimous – The Sound is must-watch TV!
‘This show is awesome!!!’
‘Fills a yawning gap in free to air television programming’
‘Loved it. Thank you. At last I feel connected again to Aussie music”
‘Fabulous first show … Loved the diversity on offer. Keep up the great work. Music cures all’
‘A show like this is long overdue on our screens. Boy oh boy are we blessed in Oz. And those locations. Just fab! Keep it up!’
EPISODE TWO: SUNDAY 26 JULY, 5.30PM ON ABC
REPEATS SATURDAY 2 AUGUST, 12.30PM ON ABC
Stream on iview
PAUL KELLY & PAUL GRABOWSKY
THE TESKEY BROTHERS
JANE GAZZO, ZAN ROWE
and special guest RUSSELL CROWE